Wednesday, October 08, 2014

WORKBOOK Blog - Dean Cambray: Melt!

WORKBOOK Blog - Dean Cambray: Melt!

 

Posted by Workbook on 10/02/2014 — Filed under:  FeaturesHeadlinePhotography

(c) Dean Cambray, Food Photographer
(c) Dean Cambray, Food Photographer

Earlier this year I was invited to photograph Will Studd’s new cookbook, Melt! Will is an icon in the Australian cheese industry. His accolades include establishing a highly successful artisan cheese import business, receiving three prestigious international awards acknowledging his expertise in this specialty field, authoring two previous books, and if that’s not enough, he is the host of the international TV series Cheese Slices. Clearly Will is an overachiever. But, for all this, in the hearts of cheese lovers like myself he will always be revered for one thing: having fought for the return of the exquisite Roquefort that once suffered exclusion from the Australian market because of its raw cheese status.

(c) Dean Cambray, Food Photographer
(c) Dean Cambray, Food Photographer

(c) Dean Cambray, Food Photographer
(c) Dean Cambray, Food Photographer

So I jumped at the chance of shooting Melt!, which turned out to be not only delicious, but also a pleasure to be part of because  I was given artistic freedom with the photography. Naturally, in my field you are constantly working with new people; this of course has its own benefits. However, there is a certain trust that develops with familiarity which helped streamline Melt!, the third book published by Hartbeat Media and produced by a small but efficient team, the core of which includes Bob Hart, radio presenter and writer, the delightful Dot Alcaide, art direction, the ever-so-patient Keith Downes, graphic design, and myself.



(c) Dean Cambray, Food Photographer
(c) Dean Cambray, Food Photographer

I like food to appear in a photograph the way it looks when it is just served. I want to capture the subtle sheen of a sauce as the light touches it or see the moist juices in the meat. For me, this brings food to life and perhaps from the influence of spending so many years as a chef. It means working quickly, and decisions about styling need to be made in advance. I believe this is fundamental to keep the food appealing and maintain its emphasis in a photographic composition. I enjoy having completed a project more than the process involved in creating it. Wanting each image to speak for itself in a unique way can be agonizing, but in the end I am happy with the warmth and three-dimensional look created with the use of light and shadows in this book. My wife is particularly fond of the cheesecake, no pun intended. I can genuinely recommend this recipe, as I was able to taste the final product. It is the best cheesecake I’ve ever eaten, seriously.

(c) Dean Cambray, Food Photographer
(c) Dean Cambray, Food Photographer

Both Will and Bob collaborated to bring Melt! together. There are seventy recipes from starters to desserts, with tips relating to the different cheeses used. We’re all looking forward to its arrival later this month.




Dean Cambray 
Food Photography
Represented Nationally by
KS Reps
Katie Swanson, Artist Representative