Monday, January 07, 2013

Brad interviewed by Life of an Architect


Bookmark and Share 

Brad Feinknopf, "To date, buildings have not started coming to me so, travel I must.  If you are going to transport $70,000 worth of equipment, you want to do so securely, especially with TSA." 


Brad was interviewed by "Life of an Architect" and the full blog post is below or you may also visit
 visit http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/a-photographers-tool-bag.


 A Photographer’s Tool Bag

A Photographer’s Tool Bag

Posted: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 06:01:44 +0000
As part of a slowly developing (yet hopefully on-going) series, I am following up on An Architect’s Tool Bag with a similar post that was organized and curated by nationally recognized architectural photographer Brad Feinknopf. Since Brad has been a photographer for over 25 years – photographing architectural buildings for the likes of Rafael Viñoly, Gwathmey Siegel & Associate Architects, and Antoine Predock, I think it’s safe to say that he has some skins on the wall and has something worth reading. If you have ever wondered what’s in the bag of a professional architectural photographer, this is a good place for you to start. 
.
“This” Architectural Photographer’s tool bag … (from essential to ludicrous)
In 2013 , I will be entering into my 25th year in architectural photography and much has changed over that period.  In 1988, I returned to my hometown of Columbus, OH, after spending two years in New York City assisting the likes of Richard Avedon, Robert Mapplethorpe, Arnold Newman and others, to start a career in photography.  Though inheritantly one eye is a photographer’s most critical tool, I have always wanted to have the tools that can provide my clients with that of the highest quality.  First it was the 4” x 5” camera and in the digital age, the most analogous is the Medium Format Camera.
.
Medium Format Cameras
Medium Format Camera
While many photographer’s utilize 35mm with wonderful results, most of the world’s top photographers opt for Medium Format Cameras.  The Medium Format Camera allows for similar rise and shifts to that of the 4”x5” Camera.  The resolution that this camera, at 60.5 Megapixels, brings is incredible but it comes at a price.  Between Cambo Wide DS Camera Body, Phase One IQ160 Digital Back and 6 Digital Rodenstock Lens, I have $70,000 invested in this system.  Nonetheless, I spend less per month on my lease than I once did in Film & Processing in the Non-Digital Age.
This is the Phase One IQ160 camera system sitting on a Kirk tabletop tripod stand surrounded by it’s five Rodenstock lens: 28mm, 35mm, 55mm, 70mm and 90mm with the 45mm w/Lee Filter System as a constant on the camera when it is not in use.
.
Phase One Set Up
MacBook Pro Laptop
When on location, we tend to shoot tethered to our Laptop.  It allows us to view the composition via Live View as the Medium Format Camera has no eye piece and thus all composition is done on screen.  I will admit that after 17 years of looking at the world upside down and backward on the ground glass of the 4”x5” camera, the transition has taken time but it is all part of evolving.
.
Phase One Case
Cabbage Case
To date, buildings have not started coming to me so, travel I must.  If you are going to transport $70,000 worth of equipment, you want to do so securely, especially with TSA.  Fortunately, I am blessed to have a wonderful supplier of custom cases, Cabbage Cases, which they have taken my equipment and created a case especially for it.  Though we do remove the $36,000 digital back when flying, the balance seems to travel well with little impact.
.
Canon 5D Mark III Camera
Canon 5D Mark III
If you ever learn anything along the way, it is ALWAYS HAVE A BACK UP.  My Back Up system is the Canon 5D Mark III.  Though my Medium Format will always be my work horse, my Canon is a close second.  Yes, there are better Canon Cameras but you can’t have the best of everything and the Canon 5D Mark III is excellent by all accounts.  We have also started shooting some video with the Canon and its allows greater flexibility to move quickly whereas the Medium Format demands a more methodical approach.
.
Cannon Camera Lenses
Canon Lens
These are the lenses for our Canon camera. Our typical lenses for architectural photographer are the: 17mm, 24mm, 45mm, 90mm and the 1.4 extender. The 1.4 extender is a nice add on as it allows some incremental steps but is never a good as having the correct lens.
.
Canon Camera and Lens Case
Tamarac Case
Our Tamarac camera bag that holds all the gear for our Canon EOS 5d Mark III camera and it’s accompanying lenses and accessories. It is of carrying on size and we typically take the Phase One IQ160 Digital Back off and carrying it on board when flying to insure its safe passage.
.
Photographers Lights
Lighting
When we use lights, we tend to use hotlights mainly. This is because with hotlights, you see with your own eyes what you are going to get and also they are a little bit easier to control and look more natural than strobe or flash lightening.  The lighting I have chosen to use is Dedolights.  There are various types of lighting equipment, but the Dedolights offers precise focusing instruments with a distinctly defined beam character yet very smooth and even light distribution within the beam which is excellent for accent lighting.  Strobe were traditionally used pre-digital  to help create a balance between interior and exterior light but with the advancements in Photoshop, I believe accent lighting is more important than creating balance and thus I typically opt for my hot lights.
.
Lauren K. Davis
Assistant
I have been blessed over the years by an incredible group of assistants.  Your assistant is your second set of eyes, your digital tech, your travel companion, the list is endless.  Thanks go out to Stewart Hart, Jason Meyer (now my Associate), Andrew Frasz, Dustin Halleck and Erin Casey who all served admirably as my right hand person.  At present I am incredibly fortunate to have a one Ms. Lauren K. Davis who serves as my right hand (wo)man.
.
Brad Feinknopf's Library
Library
I have talked endlessly about my library and have even written a blog piece on it (here) but one’s library is an endless source of inspiration.  I started building mine back at Cornell when a professor said, your most valuable asset is your library and he was right.
.
Brad Feinknopf's music library
Music Library
Libraries need not only be books, my largest Library is a Music Library.  Over 500 and still growing.  I am old school so, I still enjoy the tactile nature of holding a CD but music goes with me everywhere.  From Pop to Rock to Techno to Jazz to Classical, it is all there.  Not much Country but, what can I say?
.
Hidamari No Tami toys
Toys
Well, Architects are not the ONLY ones who need toys. One of the most important aspects of our studio are our green “toys” we keep in the windows of our studio. I started collecting Hidamari No Tami many years ago and not only do they bring others happiness when they walk past our windows but they also are a good reminder to just take it easy and enjoy the simple things in life.
Brad Feinknopf's iPhone
iPhone
I must admit, I am hopelessly addicted to my iPhone.  Whether checking email or checking weather, it is constantly by my side.  Wonderful apps include, The Weather Channel & Accuweather (as you can’t have just one) , LightTrac and Rain Aware. A-Breaker, Angry Birds, Plants Vs. Zombies,  and Peggle are for the moments when the sun just isn’t cooperating.

Brad Feinknopf On Train Tracks
The best shots aren’t always at the easiest locations to get to, but you do what you need to get the shot.
.
Brad Feinknopf is an architectural photographer based in Columbus, Ohio but does work all over the county and occasionally, the world. Brad is both son and grandson of architects.  After starting down the road towards the field of Architecture, and receiving a degree in Design & Environmental Analysis form Cornell University, Brad developed a love for photography and ultimately moved to New York City to assist photographers like Richard Avedon, Robert Mapplethorpe, Arnold Newman, Horst and Joyce Tenneson to name a few.  After assisting in New York, Brad returned to his hometown of Columbus, Ohio to open his own studio and is now entering his 25th year in the business.  His area of speciality is architectural photography and he has worked with a number of the world’s leading design firms. His evocative and concise imagery has been widely published in a diverse range of international design journals and is increasingly sought after by A/E/C industry clients.
.
.
 

copyrighted by Life of an Architect http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/a-photographers-tool-bag/